Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Luxurious Boutique Spas vs. Monthly Spas

As a spa-frequenter, you may find yourself wondering, "How can I pamper myself as often as possible while not letting financial stress counteract my spa day?" Several "Contract Spas" have made this pampering and saving a dime theory possible. Are you losing something by going to a contract spa instead of checking out the hole-in-the-wall or front page of spa magazines boutique spas?

I personally am obsessed with massages. Therefore I try to get a massage at least once a month. A massage at a boutique spa usually runs $125/hour +. A massage at Massage Envy or other contract spas usually runs around $59/hour. You also have to keep in mind the 18% gratuity that is not included in these prices. So the contract spa runs at about 50% less than the cost of the boutique spa. I'd say it's a pretty good idea to join (if you know you'll actually go).

Some things you may be sacrificing

When I walked into one of my favorite spas (Asha Salon & Spa in Woodfield, IL), the masseuse had me sit in a chair where I placed my feet in a beautiful bowl full of fresh flower petals, oils, and whatever secret ingredients were in there. He then wiped my feet and massaged them as if I was a Messiah, and the actual massage hadn't even started yet.

At the contract spas, they may use a hot towel on your feet before giving your feet a rub down. This might make you feel like you have dirty feet and may make the sensitive feel self-conscious. (Not a good tactic during something that's supposed to put you in pure blissful serenity).

Conclusion

I'd have to say for the avid spa-goer (I need to coin a better term for spa-goer), signing a contract isn't too bad of an idea (unless you have no financial limitations). Go to your once-a-month contract spa massage or facial and get your pamper on with no regrets. If you get a bonus or have some extra Ben Franklins to spend and you want to check out a new place, don't feel guilty. You can have the best of both worlds. Let someone treat you like a Messiah once in a blue moon and a princess once a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment