Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Should you feed a cold and starve a fever / the flu?

With flu season in full force, many people may be wondering if the old saying "feed a cold, starve a fever (or starve the flu)" has any substance. Honestly, it is best to just drink lots of fluids. And this Sunday, when I was feeling dehydrated and had no energy, I turned to coconut water to rehydrate. Although I'm not a huge fan of the taste (and I've found that O.N.E. brand has the most tolerable taste of the brands I've tried), I found it to work.

After drinking a juice-box size amount of coconut water, and laying down for 10 minutes, I felt 99% better, was rehydrated, energized, and was able to meet my girlfriends at the gym for a 2 hour workout! I thought I was going to have to cancel our gym plans, but due to coconut water and a cat nap was able to run on the eliptical for 20 minutes, do a half hour of yoga, a half hour of mountain climbing/dance/upbeat workouts, and then sat in the sauna for 15 minutes (the sauna probably wasn't the smartest idea for a dehydrated person, but that's how much better I felt)!

Anyways, if you're looking for a solution to swine flu symptoms, or just the common cold, try coconut water, and let me know if it worked the same for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment